St Margaret's is going greener
We are a Fair Trade Church and hold the Eco Congregation Award. Our PCC has taken steps to tackle environmental issues and reduce our carbon footprint e.g. hall heating system.
The building now known as St Margaret's was built in the 1800's by Colonel Croll as a place of Baptist worship. It was subsequently used by the Presbyterian Church before being temporarily closed. The Granard Chapel, as it was called, was given to Putney Church Council by Seth Taylor, the then resident of Granard House, in 1912 to provide the now-extended parish with another church. It is believed that the name Margaret was chosen after one of Taylor's daughters.
In 1923, after considerable growth, St Margaret's was constituted as a separate parish and its vicar was instituted in 1924.
The community of St Margaret's has obviously changed over the years as has the building itself. However worship remains strong and, because of its varied denominational history St Margaret's has contributed greatly to Putney's religious community. St Margaret's is part of Churches Together in Putney and Roehampton
PLEASE NOTE: New Byelaws for Pleasure Grounds, Public Walks and Open Spaces come into force on 26th November 2018. Please see the links below for all the information:
How to find us
St Margaret's stands on Putney Park Lane which is not a made up road.
Drivers are asked to park on nearby streets and walk through to the church. Park either on the Dover House Estate, e.g. in Hawkesbury or Parkstead Roads or the other side of the church on St. Margaret's Crescent and come down Church Walk.
Access for disabled parking and deliveries is via gates at the ends of the Lane, from Upper Richmond Road or Putney Heath. Please close the gate after entering the lane and after leaving the lane. When driving in Putney Park Lane please drive slowly and carefully and within the recommended speed limit of 10 mph.
The nearest bus route is the 430 which goes along Dover House Road.